News from the front line – Sept 24 2008

Dear Merbivores/Merbists/Merbians,

It’s hard to believe that in less that 20 days, Merb 1.0 will be released! We are all really happy to to be almost there but we have to be honest and admit that we are also under pressure.

We are all dreaming of a post 1.0 world but in the meantime we have to focus on last minutes bugs and optimization.

During the last week or so, we made a lot of progress, the API is now “almost” frozen and General Katz is focusing on making sure everything will be fine for D Day.

That reminds me that Katz showed me something amazing yesterday! I shouldn’t really talk about it but I’m sure it will stay between us. He was been working on optimizing the general memory consumption and my testing app (real app) went from 120MB of Private Memory used, to 70MB (using 4 processes). I can’t wait to use that on the field. I also hope my old Rails comrades will realize that running ~100Mb processes (x4) really isn’t efficient and event dangerous for the free Ruby world!

I also heard rumors that the higher officers are now using a new strategic tool called http://www.pivotaltracker.com which should help us streamline the process. We are still using LightHouse to track bugs and patches though. I’m not sure if this new “agile” tool will help, but I thought the approach is pretty interesting. What do you think?

You probably also saw my early report on bundling Merb apps, I’m quite happy about the process. Do you think you will deploy bundled/frozen apps or just use the system-wide gems?

Finally I hear a lot of talk about the new Router that’s available on Edge/HEAD. Officer Lerch wrote a nice wiki article covering the changes, you might want to read it.

Ohh before I forget, some courageous privates went to HEAD and use the 3rd party plugin called merb-auth. What they don’t know is that they need to change their routes to use the slices with the new router. (the new router requires no block variable) Also, if they look at the merb-auth branches they will notice a new mauth branch which is the new version of merb-auth, even better, more flexible than the previous version.

I hope everything is well for you, say Hi! to our friends for me.

- Merbist

, , , , , , ,

1. #1 by Merbist in training - September 24th, 2008 at 09:03

I am really enjoying this blog. Keep it up.

2. #2 by Botanicus - September 24th, 2008 at 11:25

Great news!

Ad gems: I’m using system-wide gems, because I’m working with one version of all gems at one server.

3. #3 by Jonathan Conway - September 24th, 2008 at 14:29

Really looking forward to the 1.0 release:). Keep up the great work!

4. #4 by Daniel Neighman - September 24th, 2008 at 18:51

Hey for anyone who isn’t aware of the changes that the router has made to using the merb-auth slice, you can retain the old behavior by changing the way you add it to the router.

I’ve posted a bit of a how-to at http://merbunity.com/news/42

5. #5 by highandwild - September 24th, 2008 at 18:57

Wish me luck too, because the Merb 1.0 launch will co-incide with the launch of my commercial app. :)

Private highandwild,
    Sniper Division,
    Deserts of Dubai

6. #6 by SoftMind - September 24th, 2008 at 19:43

Great ….

I like way you express Merb in your blogs. I am getting excited day by day as 11th October approaches nearer and nearer. Merb is going to change many things in Ruby world.

If possible…. do write something on Rubinius as well. Start a different blog section on great tutorials on Merb appearing elsewhere.

Thanks

SoftMind Technology

7. #7 by Matt Aimonetti - September 24th, 2008 at 20:02

@Merbist in training, @botanicus, @jonathan thanks guys, I’ll do my best to keep you all posted.

@highandwild congrats on the launch, I presume your app is built on Merb, right?
    shoot me an email ( mattaimonetti AT gmail etc…) if you want me to feature your Merb app.
    I’d like to feature the cool Merb apps and the team behind.

@SoftMind, thanks for the word of encouragements. I’ll try to interview Evan Phoenix regarding Rubinius and Merb, I know they’ve been doing a lot of work on the C++ part of the VM.

@Daniel Thanks Mate for the update on the slices and router, I can’t wait to hear your talks at MerbCamp

8. #8 by Rahsun McAfee - September 24th, 2008 at 20:13

Can’t wait until Merb hits the streets as well, been the first thing I’ve been excited about in a long time. There are lots of things to cover in the community of “Merbist”, but I believe lots and lots of resources will shortly follow D Day. Hopefully we all can do our part to make a great community.

9. #9 by highandwild - September 24th, 2008 at 22:07

Indeed, it is a merb app. I’m living life dangerously on the Edge for now, but that will all change come Oct 11 :)

I will share url when I’m ready. Thanks !

10. #10 by Michael Klishin - September 24th, 2008 at 23:14

Matt,

Looks like new improved caching plugin is gonna make it into 1.0. It needs better documentation at the moment. More at merbunity.com/tutorials/15.