Preparing Merb 1.0 RC2

1.0RC1 was released less than a week ago and we are already planning to release RC2 next week or so.

Thanks to all the contributors who reported RC1 bugs and submitted patches. RC2 should iron out most of the small bugs and annoyances encountered.

Rosemary has a very old reputation for improving memory.

Rosemary has a very old reputation for improving memory.

However, RC2 top priority is to get Merb and DataMapper properly working on Windows. Some members of the .net community offered their help to compile windows native DM drivers. Supporting Windows is not an easy task but we think it is a critical thing to do.

We are also discussing setting up a nightly gem server so people could test Merb edge without having to use git etc..  It’s also a great way for us to test gem dependencies before an official release. The only problem with nightly gems is that you need to have a way to track what version is being installed or what version a user reporting a bug is using. We do have some ideas, but please feel free to add a comment with your suggestions.

On a different note, the new wiki is growing nicely, but we do need more content, as you are experimenting with Merb 1.0RC, please think about sharing your knowledge with others by using the wiki.

Finally, people on Edge are reporting issue with gems not loading properly. The problem is that you have generated an app with hardcoded dependencies (check your config/dependencies.rb file). Your app won’t load newer gems and therefore migth crash. Make sure to define the proper dependencies. We are working on  documenting this behavior and making the error message clearer.

Similar Posts

, ,

  1. #1 by Peter G - October 16th, 2008 at 15:17

    Thanks for the update Matt. I too was bitten by the dependencies.rb problem when I switched to edge. Could this be solved by installing the edge version of merb-gen at the system level. Otherwise merb-gen app keeps creating a dependencies.rb with the older gem versions? And it also seems to not reflect that there is now a merb-auth-more and merb-auth-core. (I think that is part of the issue)

    Possibly someone could post what the edge dependencies.rb should look like on the wiki.

    Otherwise, thor/merb is looking pretty cool. Keep up the good work!

  2. #2 by Daniel Neighman - October 16th, 2008 at 15:42

    Hi Peter,

    It doesn’t require merb-auth-core or merb-auth-more because the “merb-auth” meta gem includes both of these + the password slice. It will require whichever one is dictated by merb-auth so there should not be an issue with this.

  3. #3 by Michael Wood - October 16th, 2008 at 15:46

    Supporting Windows is never and easy things to do. In my opinion special “hacks” for windows is never a good idea and I believe it destroys an otherwise simple and clean implementation. Similar to creating the perfect standards compliant website then butchering it because you have to add CSS/JS hacks for IE.

    Any way keep up the good (simple and clean) work!

  4. #4 by Michael Wood - October 16th, 2008 at 15:47

    I wish I could go back and rewrite my first sentence. :)

  5. #5 by Michael Wood - October 16th, 2008 at 16:13

    … And while I’m on a good old fashioned rant. RC2 needs to put an end to the silly – vs _ delimiter gem names. Settle on one style! It’s just crazy!

  6. #6 by Peter G - October 16th, 2008 at 16:44


    Thanks for the response. Yea, I think my problem is because I am trying to bootstrap everything inside my projects using thor instead of trying to keep the edge gems up to date on my system. So in fact, when I install the merb auth (edge) gem on my system level, it fixes the problem. But when I try and rely only on the merb-auth gems in my project gems directory, I get the following:

    $ ./bin/merb

    ~ Loaded DEVELOPMENT Environment…
    ~ FATAL: The gem merb-auth (= 0.9.10, runtime), [] was not found
    ~ FATAL: The file merb-auth was not found

    So I suspect that the problem is that project level meta gems are not loading properly. I am also seeing the same behavior with the merb-datamapper gem. These are the only gems that are failing for me on a bootstrapped project. Thanks, peter

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Comments are closed.