Blog status

I had people asking me how come I was not blogging as much lately. Well, on top of being really busy, I have been blogging on other blogs such as the official Rails blog.

There aren’t a lot of Merb news, we are waiting for Carl and Yehuda to sign out on the 1.1 release and will hopefully soon start the migration work to Rails3. If you want more news about Rails3, check Yehuda’s blog and the official Rails blog. Lots of exciting things are coming up.

Finally, if you are planning on upgrading your Mac to Snow Leopard, these instructions are also valid for all Ruby developers on an Intel mac.

1. #1 by mech - August 30th, 2009 at 19:38

Will you be writing about how to get couchdb and erlang installed on Snow Leopard?

2. #2 by Matt Aimonetti - August 30th, 2009 at 19:43

Mech, I didn’t really plan on doing that. You can just install couchdbx from http://github.com/janl/couchdbx-core/downloads

and it will work on SL. My guess is that Jan will eventually release a couchdbx 0.10 version for SL.

3. #3 by Luis Lavena - August 31st, 2009 at 00:15

Hey Matt, saw the post at Ridding Rails.

Can you confirm the mysql issue happens with latest 2.8.1 version I released?

Still with Leopard on my mac due 1.8.6, but wanted to check with someone seen that.

Thanks.

4. #4 by Matt Aimonetti - August 31st, 2009 at 00:24

Hey Luis, this has nothing to do with your awesome work :)

The problem is that the mysql binary you download from the mysql website is 64-bit only. However SL compiles native gems in universal mode (32 and 64 bit) and since the mysql binary isn’t universal, the gem fails to compile and that’s why you need to force the architecture.

Basically, it’s not your fault :)

- Matt

• #5 by Luis Lavena - August 31st, 2009 at 21:45

LOL, hehehe,

No, was wondering since the new gems uses uname -m to define the build architecture of the compiled extension.

Ona sidenote, I would love Rails3 support 1.8.6 and not force us to 1.8.7, I haven’t had a good experience with it for RubyInstaller.

And one last thing: sqlite3-ruby and mysql gems are 1.9 compatible now ;)

Cheers and thanks for your answers!

5. #6 by Dan Kubb - August 31st, 2009 at 09:00

Matt, when do you think Merb 1.1 is going to be ready? I’d like to release DataMapper 0.10.0 beforehand, so that we can get the fixes needed to run it into merb_datamapper. Right now it’s not plug and play using DM 0.10 RC1 with Merb, and I’d like to make sure it’s seamless for the next major release.