Au Revoir Rails community

Time really flies!

Back in December 2005, Ruby on Rails 1.0 was released to the masses. I remember that was when I first got interested in Rails. Six months later, I was doing Rails development full time.

Rails pushed me to contribute to the project, to write plugins, to improve my Ruby knowledge, to release gems and to become a better engineer overall. I then joined the Merb project, focusing on problems I was facing in the various client projects I had back then.

The competition between Rails and Merb turned into a constant confrontation, splitting the Ruby community into two camps. A resolution was later achieved by merging the two teams and focusing our energy on Rails 3. This is how I became a part of the Activism team with Gregg and Ryan. In this new role I was given the opportunity to meet lots of different people from various backgrounds and different communities. I really had a lot of fun.

However, things have changed for me. I won’t be at Rails Conf 2010 because in a few weeks I will become a father for the first time. And with that, an obvious priority shift. My day job working on Playstation games is also quite time consuming and the little free time I manage to get to work on my own projects is spent on my MacRuby book. The disconnect between the Rails community and myself is probably more evident now than ever. The challenges encountered by most Railists are so different from the ones I face daily that I think others would do a much better job than I at advocating for Rails. So this is why I believe it’s time for me to step away from the Rails community, kick back and relax (and get ready to change a lot of diapers).

This is an “au revoir“, not an “Adieu“. I will continue to keep an eye on Rails 3 and the fast growing ecosystem.

I will still be writing Ruby for a living and will hopefully keep contributing to the projects I use. And I plan to keep on attending to Ruby conferences around the world just as soon as my kid is old enough to travel with me ;)

Finally, with the imminent release of Rails 3, I hope to see even more people stand up and advocate for Ruby on Rails the way Gregg Pollack, Ryan Bates and many others have done so far.

1. #1 by Rafael Rosa - June 4th, 2010 at 18:04

Hi Matt,

Just wanted to congratulate you and wish you a good ride on this new full-time-whole-life position, being a father seems to be tough, at least that’s what my friends tell me :) We’ll surely miss your contributions, but I’m very happy for you. Relax and enjoy :)

À tout à l’heure :)

2. #2 by Kevin Faustino - June 4th, 2010 at 18:07

I got into Ruby because of the work you and the Merb team did. Your work did not go unnoticed. Thanks for all your contributions Matt.

3. #3 by Blake Nyquist - June 4th, 2010 at 18:11

Much congrats and bummer for the community. I certainly won’t forget you taking a devoted hour-plus of your time to help me get Rails built on my Windows 7 beta netbook (which I’m typing on right this moment). Your generosity to a complete stranger was remarkable. Thank you.

And I’m also an expecting father myself! My wife is due two weeks from today, provided she (and the kid) can hold out that long. Good luck and trust that I’ll be changing as many diapers as you are. ;)

4. #4 by Steven Haddox - June 4th, 2010 at 18:38

Congratulations on the fast approaching newborn. As much as I live and breath programming whenever I can, I can say that I’ve gladly sacrificed many meetups, conferences, and extra-projects for my 2 year old and wife of 3 years and never regretted it. It’s amazing what you have done for the community and I’m glad to see you taking just as much pride in your family. Kudos good sir.

5. #5 by Mark Carey - June 4th, 2010 at 19:06

Another hat tip to your contributions. I have a 1.5yr old and another due in a month. Children change everything, and taking the timeout to support your wife and learn how to be father is important and worthwhile. :) I also look forward to seeing the finished Macruby book.

6. #6 by Justin McPherson - June 4th, 2010 at 22:50

Wonderful, I have two little ones and have never been happier. Congratulations and all the best to you.

7. #7 by iGEL - June 4th, 2010 at 23:47

Congatulations and thanks for everything! :)

8. #8 by Tapajós - June 6th, 2010 at 14:13

Hi Matt,

The Rails Community will miss your contributions!!!

You are dedicating more time to your family and I understand it. I’m
    doing the same. I’m spending more time with Nicole and with non nerds activities.

I know that you can read in portuguese:

I wish the best for you, Heidi and the baby.

9. #9 by Vitor Pellegrino - June 6th, 2010 at 17:30

Salut Matt,

Thank you very much for your contribution to the rails community for all this time. I can’t even imagine how excited about being a father for the first time you are. :)

Good luck not only with Sony, but also with all those great things that are happening at your life.

Wish all the best,

Valeu Matt! :)

10. #10 by Ninh Bui - June 7th, 2010 at 05:10

Matt, on behalf of the guys at Phusion, I’d like to wish you the best of luck with your future ventures in life. Hongli and I look forward dropping by to see how you, Heidi and the little one are doing in real life :-)

Bon chance,

11. #11 by William E. Kreth - June 7th, 2010 at 17:22

12. #12 by elainefisse - June 7th, 2010 at 17:31

Thanks for everything.

13. #13 by Sébastien Grosjean – ZenCocoon - June 16th, 2010 at 15:08

Hi Matt,

Wise move that I believe will make your familly more happy and in harmony.

A big THANKS for all you’ve done in Ruby’s community,
    Enjoy you’re kickback and new turn in life.

P.S. : If a bit later, traveling overseas for holidays in a Greek island makes your family even happier, please feel free to contact me. I’ll be pleased to offer you a great deal on villa rentals by the sea.

Best regards,