Ruby object allocation & why you should care

Recently I was tasked with finding how to optimize a web application with heavy traffic. The application (a Rails 2.3.x app) gets about 3 million requests per hour and most of these requests cannot really be easily cached so they go through the entire stack.

This is probably not the case of most web apps out there. None the less, my findings my help you understand Ruby better and maybe think differently about memory management.

This is certainly not an advanced GC blog post, I will try to keep it as simple as possible. My goal is to show you how Ruby memory allocation works and why it can affect your app performance and finally, how can you avoid to allocate to many objects.

Ruby memory management.

Rubyists are quite lucky since they don’t have to manage the memory themselves. Because developers are lazy and Matz developed his language for people and not machine, memory is managed “magically”. Programming should be fun and managing memory isn’t really considered fun (ask video game developers or iOS programmers ;) ).

So in Ruby, the magical memory management is done by a Garbage Collector. The GC’s job is to run and free objects that were previously allocated but not used anymore. Without a GC we would saturate the memory available on the host running the program or would have to deallocate the memory manually. Ruby’s GC uses a conservative, stop the world, mark-and-sweep collection mechanism.  More simply, the garbage collection runs when the allocated memory for the process is maxed out. The GC runs and blocks all code from being executed and will free unused objects so new objects can be allocated.

Joe Damato did a great talk on that matter during last RailsConf

Garbage Collection and the Ruby Heap

The problem is that Ruby’s GC was not designed to support hundred thousand objects allocation per second. Unfortunately, that’s exactly what frameworks like Ruby on Rails do, and you might contribute to the problem too without even knowing it.

Does it really matter?

I believe it does. In my case improving the object allocation means much better response time, less servers, less support and less headaches. You might think that servers are cheaper than developers. But more servers mean more developer time spent fixing bugs and more IT support. That’s why I think, memory management is something Ruby developers should be aware of and should take in consideration, especially the ones writing frameworks, libraries or shared code.

I am using Ruby 1.9 so I could not profile my Rails 2.x app using memprof, instead I wrote a simple and basic middleware that keeps track of the memory allocation/deallocation and GC cycles during a web request (Ruby1.9 only). One of my simple Rails2 actions (1 DB call, simple view) is allocating 170,000 objects per requests. Yes, you read right: 170k objects every single request. At 3 million requests/hour, you can imagine that we are spending a LOT of time waiting for the GC. This is obviously not 100% Rails fault as I am sure our code is contributing to the problem. I heard from the memprof guys that Rails was allocating 40k objects. I decided to check Rails3.

After warming up, a basic Rails3 ‘hello world’ app clocks at about 8,500 objects allocated per request, forcing the GC to run more or less every 6 requests. On my machine (mac pro) the GC takes about 20ms to free the objects. A Rack ‘hello world’ app clocks at 7 objects per request and a Sinatra app at 181 objects. Of course you can’t really compare these different libraries/frameworks but that gives you an idea of the price you pay to get more features.

One thing to remember is that the more objects you allocate, the more time you “lose” at code execution. For more developers, it probably doesn’t matter much, but if you should still understand that concept especially if you decide to contribute to the OSS community and offer patches, libraries, plugins etc…

What can I do?

Be aware that you are allocating  objects, for instance something as simple as 100.times{ ‘foo’ } allocates 100 string objects (strings are mutable and therefore each version requires its own memory allocation).

Make sure to evaluate the libraries you use, for instance switching a Sinatra XML rendering action from Builder to Nokogiri XML Builder saved us about 12k object allocations (Thanks Aaron Patterson). Make sure that if you are using a library allocating a LOT of objects, that other alternatives are not available and your choice is worth paying the GC cost. (you might not have a lot of requests/s or might not care for a few dozen ms per requests). You can use memprof or one of the many existing tools to check on the GC cycles using load tests or in dev mode. Also, be careful to analyze the data properly and to not only look at the first request. Someone sent me this memory dump from a Rails3 ‘hello world’ with Ruby 1.8.7 and it shows that Rails is using 331973 objects.  While this is totally true, it doesn’t mean that 330k objects are created per request. Instead that means that 330k objects are currently in memory. Rubygems loading already allocate a lot of objects, Rails even more but these objects won’t be GC’d and don’t matter as much as the ones allocated every single request. The total amount of memory used by a Ruby process isn’t that important, however the fluctuation forcing the GC to run often is. This is why my middleware only cares about the allocation change during a request. (The GC should still traverse the entire memory so, smaller is better)

The more object allocation you do at runtime/per request, the more the GC will need to run, the slower your code will be. So this is not a question of memory space, but more of performance. If your framework/ORM/library/plugin allocates too many objects per request maybe you should start by reporting the problem and if you can, offer some patches.

Here are some hints about memory allocation:

Creating a hash object really allocates more than an object, for instance {‘joe’ => ‘male’, ‘jane’ => ‘female’} doesn’t allocate 1 object but 7. (one hash, 4 strings + 2 key strings) If you can use symbol keys as they won’t be garbage collected. However because they won’t be GC’d you want to make sure to not use totally dynamic keys like converting the username to a symbol, otherwise you will ‘leak’ memory.

Looking at a GC cycle in the Rails3 hello world example shows what objects get deallocated:

GC run, previous cycle was 6 requests ago.

GC 203 invokes. (amount of cycles since the program was started)
Index   1

Invoke Time(sec)   25.268

Use Size(byte)   4702440

Total Size(byte)   7307264

Total Object   182414

GC Time(ms) 22.35600000000204090611

## 56322 freed objects. ##
[78%] 44334 freed strings.
[7%] 4325 freed arrays.
[0%] 504 freed bignums.
[1%] 613 freed hashes.
[0%] 289 freed objects.
[5%] 3030 freed parser nodes (eval usage).

I did not list all the object types but it’s pretty obvious that the main issue in the case of Rails is string allocation. To a certain extend the allocated arrays and the runtime use of eval are not helping either. (what is being eval’d at runtime anyway?)

If you use the same string in various place of you code, you can “cache” them using a local var, instance variable, class variable or constant. Sometimes you can just replaced them by a symbol and save a few allocations/deallocations per request. Whatever you do tho, make sure there is a real need for it. My rule of thumb is that if some code gets exercised by 80% of the requests, it should be really optimized and avoid extra allocations so the GC won’t slow us down.

What about a better GC?

That’s the easy answer. When I mentioned this problem with Rails, a lot of people told me that I should use JRuby or Rubinius because their GC were much better. Unfortunately, that’s not that simple and choosing an alternative implementation requires much further research and tests.

But what annoys me with this solution is that using it is not solving the issue, it’s just working around it. Yes, Ruby’s GC isn’t that great but that’s the not the key issue, the key issue is that some libraries/frameworks allocate way too many objects and that nobody seems to care (or to even know it). I know that the Ruby Core Team is working on some optimizations and I am sure Ruby will eventually get an improved GC. In the meantime, it’s easy to blame Matz, Koichi and the rest of the core team but again, it’s ignoring that the root cause, totally uncontrolled memory allocation.

Maybe it’s time for us, Rubyists, to think a bit more about our memory usage.

1. #1 by Kieran P - July 30th, 2010 at 01:27

Nice post. Were you able to track where most of the objects in Rails 3 were coming from? Perhaps pass that info onto the core team. Would be awesome to see Rails drop to only 300k objects in memory… :-D

• #2 by Matt Aimonetti - July 30th, 2010 at 08:46

Not really, because of the performance issue caused by Rails3, it looks like the project I am working on will no longer run on Rails. I am still investigating but a switch to a pure rack stack or a Sinatra based solution is more probable. I believe Aman Gupta is looking into it tho.

2. #3 by Sven Kräuter | 5v3n - July 30th, 2010 at 02:06

Being a Java dev & having a closer look at Ruby lately, this reminds me of “the old Java days”. The compiler wasn’t that sophisticated & you really had to care about objects wasting your memory.

This didn’t matter for small private apps you wrote, but when it came to enterprise / heavy traffic solutions, this waste results in more hardware and more power consumption.

Today, the Java compiler does the job for you & the once required optimizations are very rare.

So I think you are pointing at a vital aspect of the future Ruby development. Ruby is simple & really fun to use, but with a GC like that, the motto “Don’t waste your time with the compiler’s / interpreter’s tasks.” does not seem to apply to object allocation.

BTW, this is one of the two topics that I miss in the Ruby ecosystem discussions. Efficiency/optimization & architecture/design.

Thanks for sharing!

5v3n

3. #4 by Sai Venkat - July 30th, 2010 at 03:06

Nice post.

@sven – I agree with your points. We still need to focus more on those areas. But still one point to note. Java has one of the really good VMs around and the GC mechanism is obviously more sophisticated than Ruby’s. But when we start working beyond a scale no matter which ever platform we are in we need to be careful about things like these and cannot take things for granted. For example in JVM when we scale we still need to be aware of the effect of what the GC pause has effect on our app’s performance and scaling :)

4. #5 by seydar - July 30th, 2010 at 04:33

The greatest tool I have ever used for profiling is Java’s VisualVM. The good news is that you can use it on JRuby. It tracks memory usage and can tell you the value of the memory slot and where it was allocated from, so you can look at the massive strings and say “Gee, 90% of this is strings, and they’re coming from this one spot.”

I’m going to start taking my apps and running them under JRuby and watching the memory profile under VisualVM. I HIGHLY recommend it as one of the best tools written.

Say what you want about Java, but the JVM is a true work of software art.

5. #6 by Manu - July 30th, 2010 at 08:32

Why are all the Java dev always so defensive about the JVM? If you are happy with it and it works for your need, you don t need to come and justify on a Ruby post that the JVM is so great. There are plenty of VM that are better depending on what you are trying to do. Last I have checked, I have not seen a lot of JVM in Telco but quite more Erlang VM instead… So it all depends on what you do. People choose Ruby for a reason based on their need. It is not the next language that will replace them all. The future will be made of bridging more and more languages together.. So stop bragging about my language or my VM is better than yours. This is so 90′s

Great article otherwise but how do I use it in any other app? what is the first argument in your class (GCStats)?

• #7 by Matt Aimonetti - July 30th, 2010 at 08:42

The GCStats is a rack middleware, so you need to tell your framework to use the middleware. For Rails, read http://guides.rubyonrails.org/rails_on_rack.html otherwise, you usually just need to require the file and add: “use GCStats” to your rackup file. (usuallly called config.ru)

6. #8 by Oldschool - July 30th, 2010 at 09:15

… the key issue is that some libraries/frameworks allocate way too many objects …

I *totally* disagree with this statement. A library should care about performance, usability, stability. Rails does a good job with that (talking about Rails 2.3 and greater). Maybe Rails does create a bunch of objects, but this does change the fact that the Ruby GC *sucks* and is *flawed*. Why do we have so many fixes (REE, Rubinius, …)
    What I don’t get, is why all Rubists are so against the JVM. Before I hear the Java Dev argument again. I was a Java Dev, but I am a Ruby Dev (only) for 4 years now. So I consider myself as a Rubist. I truly believe that the JVM/JRuby could be something really great for Ruby/Rails. It is the entry card in the enterprise level (some care about that and there is much money in it), it offers a very fast and mature platform, it is offers the chance to use many libraries like Apache Libs, Google Collections and so on. Why are we against it? Is it because it has the letter “J” in it? The only thing I can think of, are native bindings in Gems. With the help of the community this could be done quickly.

Another thing, as EngineYard took over JRuby, we can now be sure that JRuby has commercial support behind it and is developed by Ruby-understanders (love the word). So again my question: Why are Rubists against JRuby?

7. #9 by Mike Moore - July 30th, 2010 at 11:34

FWIW, Yehuda downplayed concerns about object allocation at MountainWest RubyConf 2010, calling it “essentially free”. This is ~20:45 in the video.

• #10 by Mike Moore - July 30th, 2010 at 12:03

I should add that he he was speaking about using Rails, not creating it. I look forward to Yehuda’s response.

• #11 by Ryan Bates - July 30th, 2010 at 12:57

I think there he is referring to explicit object allocations such as Foo.new. Don’t feel that this is especially heavy compared to everything else in Ruby. What we must be careful with are implicit object allocations such as “foo” in a string.

8. #12 by Ryan Bates - July 30th, 2010 at 13:06

Since Rails adopts Rack, why not use Rails for the feature rich parts of the application and put just the performance critical parts into a Sinatra app or a custom Rack application?

For example, an in e-commerce app there’s usually a lot of complexity in the checkout process but it is not visited very frequently. Leave that in Rails but strip down the home page and other frequently visited pages using rack or caching.

That said, thanks for this article. It is very enlightening and I would love to see object allocation play a bigger role when optimizing Rails and other frameworks.

• #13 by Matt Aimonetti - July 30th, 2010 at 14:46

It depends what you call “rich” but I agree that mounting Rack/Sinatra apps in a Rails app might be interesting. I did not check the overhead for doing that (if any) since in this specific case Rails’ value isn’t worth the complexity but others might want to look into that alternative.

However, that still doesn’t solve the root problem: Rails allocating too many objects. Also depending on how you do caching, the allocation will still happen and you will spend a lot of time in the GC.

9. #14 by Rohit Arondekar - July 30th, 2010 at 17:26

I’m curious as to whether the GC algorithm used in MRI is meant for high performance. What would the effect be (theoretically) of using a different/better GC? Also it would be nice to be able to swap in/out GC’s so that you can use the one that’s perfect for you. /end_crazy_thoughts

Nice article, eye opening! :)

10. #15 by Geoff Tidey - August 3rd, 2010 at 07:43

Thanks for a great article. I shall buy you this: http://static2.syswear.com/images/shirts/30/30_folded_large_black.png, when I’ve got some money :-)